Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Breadventures!!! [Edit]

So last week sometime I'm in a meeting having a very long conversation about bread. More specifically, the bread used in the Eucharist and how often it is crumbly, dry, etc. A very long conversation about bread. In the interest of non-existent brevity, I didn't raise my concern about the bread: my concern being that the gluten-intolerant Rector of the parish can't eat the stuff. Ridiculous!

Not being one to complain without at least trying to provide a solution, I went out bread shopping last week. Without surprise I found no gluten-free bread in any of the bakeries nearby, although I *did* find gluten-free cookies at a bookstore/coffeeshop. Noted.

So the next phase is to find a recipe and ingredients and experiment with gluten-free baking. I need to try shopping in the Asian supermarkets as rice flour and tapioca powder seem to not be on the general food radar. I will update after I've sourced ingredients, then again as I experiment with recipes.

UPDATE: The Korean grocery in town (H-mart) carries all manner of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, and buckwheat what-nots. I grabbed the first three to make a flour mix, so that's a plus.

Using 2 parts rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch and 1/3 part tapioca starch, I tried a basic yeast, flour, water bread. It smelled like bread, and almost tasted like bread, but did not rise like I wanted it to. I expected this, but wanted a starting point.

This morning I tried a shortbread recipe using the same flour mixture. While tasty, it wasn't quite the unleavened bread I was looking for. Still experimenting.

No comments: