Monday, May 12, 2008

An Introduction and Some Notes

After an absence of a few months, I'm going to try to reset this blog. From my previous time of writing it includes some "At the Chancel Step" writing (i.e. children's stories as commentary on the Revised Common Lectionary gospel readings), and some other church commentary. I may do more, I may do less.

I started this project after being asked if I would juggle during Children's Time at church. I of course accepted, but the caveat was that I had to somehow relate it to the reading of the week, preferably the gospel reading. So I went away and came up with a story about learning to juggle. Now, as it turns out, Children's Time is not Sunday School as I had thought it would be. Children's Time referred to the part of the service when the kids gather at the chancel step BEFORE going off to Sunday School. Which is to say, it occurs with the entire congregation present. I was caught completely off-guard, but I don't like passing up opportunities to fail, so I went for it.

Now let me lay out this situation: all the kids gather at the front of the church and are being addressed directly, normally by the person presiding at the service. All of the older generations are present and listening as well. A message is delivered, directed at the children, then engaged in by all parties in various manners. But the discussion of the message begins with the children, at the chancel step.

No comments: